25 years ago Mrs. Willa Carson, a retired nurse from St. Petersburg, Florida, founded the North Greenwood Health Resource Center to meet the needs of the uninsured and under-served children and families in Clearwater, Florida. Her vision was a free, culturally sensitive, not-for-profit health care clinic located in the heart of the North Greenwood Community. The Center was named after Willa Carson by the Board of Directors about 2005.
Through her compelling personality, Willa was able to secure volunteers from the community’s churches, various agencies and local government offices. The original Center opened May 4, 1997 at 1001 North Greenwood, building 22, apartments 1 and 2 encompassing 2,000 square feet. Mrs. Carson served as both the Administrator and Center Nurse.
On July 1st, 2011, the center’s name changed to the Willa Carson Health and Wellness Center© to make it easier for current and new patients to identify what the center offers and is about.
Still going strong in 2022 the Willa Carson Center has provided over 50,000 patient visits and educational services. The clinic provides medical services to all of Pinellas County.
The Center’s primary source of funding is through grants, in-kind donations and fund-raising events. Major funding over the past three years has been provided by the Morton Plant Mease Foundation, Pinellas Community Foundation, Allegany Franciscan Ministries, Florida Association of Free and Charitable Clinics, The Clearwater Rotary Club, and Duke Energy Foundation. We have also formed great partnerships with the Black Nurses Association and Turley Family Health Center.
For more information on how you can be a part of the Willa Carson Center please see our volunteer and donation.